Help for AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

AFRIK-IT Home

AFRIK-IT  January 1996

AFRIK-IT January 1996

Low cost source for computer equipment for Africa

SCS <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 3 Jan 1996 12:15:00 PST

I write to offer DSR, Inc as a source for African-based agencies and
individuals to procure computer equipment at a reasonable price with good
service.  DSR specializes in supplying computer hardware and software to
Africa and has done so for about ten years.  Currently we ship almost daily
into Africa.  We are a small business with about 15 staff, selling about $7
million a year - maybe half sent into Africa.  We specialize in TOSHIBA
portables and Gateway 2000 desktops.  We feel that Toshibas are the best and
most reliable portable computers, and as we are the 2nd largest repair shop
for Toshiba in the USA, we are in an excellent position to keep machines
running at a distance.  We sell Gateways as they are inexpensive and well
known - and as good as any.  We promise one-business-day responses to
technical queries from our customers, and generally are good at keeping
equipment running after it arrives in Africa.  We stock lots of 220v only
equipment and a variety of plug ends, and basically are knowledgeable about
what it takes to get the best and least expensive computer equipment into
Africa.  Our prices are about as good as any in the USA, although if someone
was real knowledgeable and worked hard and shopped the mail order places,
they could beat some of our prices.  But that isn't functional from Africa,
and a single small mistake can cost much more than any savings.

Jeff Cochrane of USAID/M/IRM AfricaLink wrote that he was thinking of
developing a database of US suppliers of computer equipment to Africa.  I
would be interested in seeing that list.  Having been in the business ten
years, I know of no other agency that focuses on Africa.  I've heard of a
couple that export, but generally they focus on the lucrative markets in
Europe, Ex-USSR, or Latin America.

We also have a non-profit side to DSR.  We produce and distribute 52 titles
of African social message films.  Over the years our computer business has
contributed a lot of time and money into these money-losing, but
socially-profitable activities.  We supported the films "Consequences" on
teenage pregnancy, "It's Not Easy" on AIDS and the work place, "Neria" on
womens rights, and "More Time" on AIDS and teenagers, if you have seen any
of these.  We continue to distribute videos at reasonable prices to agencies
all over the continent.  We've sent out about 15,000 videos over the years
and have reached millions and millions of viewers with messages on a variety
of subjects.

I'm sorry to write such a commercial note to the listserve, but having read
the mail for several months now, I believe that there is many out there that
might like to hear about us.  If we can be of help either in computer
procurement or as a source for social message videos -  please contact me.

Thank you,
Steve Smith