AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

AFRIK-IT Home

AFRIK-IT  January 1996

AFRIK-IT January 1996

Re: Internet in Rwanda

Dr Eberhard W Lisse <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 20 Jan 1996 08:09:00 GMT+0100

At 6:40 PM 18/1/96, Anthony Villasenor - NSI Program Manager
<[log in to unmask] wrote:
>Eberhard has proposed a very good configuration!
Thanks. There are better ones of course but you want to standardise on
machines that can be easily repaired or replaced from local sources. If
a SPARC dies you are in trouble. If a Pentium dies you can replace
the component or rip the disk and put it into a 486 on loan from the repair
shop :-)-O

By the way, if I ever get hold of an elderly SPARC for our foundation I'd
install
linux on it too...

>> Depends on whether money is the object.
>
>Absolutely correct!
>

>> UPS for the lot. 5000$ ?
>
>Would also depend on how much equipment (=power) is expected to
>be sustained during outages.
You must have everything on to catch the power fluctuations... We routinely
turn the screens off by the way when we leave so that consumption is less.
But the router and the modems all must be on.

There are packages for linux such as unipower and others that you can wire
into the serial port so that the UPS can signal it has enganged and linux will
init into the powerfail state. Basically it shuts itself down to single
user mode
killing all uncessary processes and if the power then goes off (UPS battery
empty) you don't loose anything. If the power comes back on before the
UPS is dead the UPS will signal and linux will either abort the shutdown or
reenter multi user mode firing up all processes. If power comes up after
the machine went off it just boots.

You definitively want that. We have UPS too in Windhoek for the gateways
and will most definitively have some for the periphery.

>> Training?  Send one guy each on UNICEF expense to the ISCO conference and
>
>Information about the Canada conference can be obtained by writing:
>
>Also, from the Conference announcement-
>"To obtain information in French, please write to M. Hubert Manseau
>at CRIM in Montreal at: [log in to unmask] "

If UNICEF can pay for that they will most definitively let you participate
on the workshop, but if not please apply for them anyway they might
be sponsored.

>>You must register the top level domain for Ruanda (RW?) if not already
>>registed with  [log in to unmask]
>
>It is not registered as yet.

DO it TODAY!

>> Ask the Internic for IP numbers. They will be difficult, because there
>>just are
>> not many numbers left, so you must present a well designed engineering plan
>> with at least one year lookahead. Your ISP can also give you the numbers
>> but if you ever change the provider you'd have to renumber *ALL* computers.
>
>Ask RIPE for a block of Class C IP addresses.  The contact is:
>Daniel Karrenberg <[log in to unmask]>

RIPE may have been unilaterally assigned by the NIC but I strongly disagree with
that. Last time I looked RUanda was in Africa and not in Europe. And I hear RIPE
is attempting to charge outrageous sums for the service.

Deal direclty with the NIC and don't take nonsense. Have a *DETAILED*
engineering
plan with numbers of routers, numbers of systems connected now and in a year
(maybe even longer)

>> Have you got an ISP in mind?
>I'd be curious also!

Look directly in the US.

el

--
Dr. Eberhard W. Lisse   \         /              Swakopmund State Hospital
<[log in to unmask]>            *        |               Resident Medical Officer