AFRIK-IT January 1996

Re: Internet in Rwanda

Jeff Cochrane <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 19 Jan 1996 17:12:05 -5

Greetings Afrik-ITers!

> At 2:00 AM 17/1/96, Rob Poland wrote:
> >NSN Network Systems ([log in to unmask]) supplies turnkey solutions. They
> >implemented a VSAT system with 64Kbps Internet access in Ghana.

I know NSN supplied equipment, installation, and training in
Kampala. Visit http://imul.com, which provides a link to
http://nsn.net. (Turn your browser's graphics off if you have a slow
connection, as there's a bandwidth intensive picture of the Colorado
mountains on the nsn page.)

I thought Ghana worked through Pipex in London, but am not sure about
whether that was just for their Internet access or for equipment etc.
as well.

Dr. Lisse writes:
> Remember we are talking Ruanda here. Turnkey is fine and all but
> how expensive? Sustainability is of utmost precedence. Would one
> want to go with that particular ISP?

I'd venture a guess to say that the enquiry about Rwanda was to
support a UN effort, and not directly to promote the development of
publicly accessible and sustainable Internet access there.  Have
budget, will connect...  8*)  It would be nice, assuming the UN is
going to spend all that money, for them to pause now and then to
think about sustainability issues along the way.  Perhaps something
can be made of their investment for the longer term.

For electronic mail access, I hear the WFP is working on a packet
radio solution for Rwanda.  TeleCel also apparently sneaks cellular
phone access (voice and data on an AMPS system) over from Goma,
Zaire.  TeleCel is based outside Washington DC, with affiliates in
Kinshasa and a handful of other countries.  Has anyone ever tried a
SLIP connection over a cellular phone?  I wonder if that would work
in Uganda where land-line SLIP from Entebbe to Kampala seems to be
problematic.

The explosion of cellular telephone in Africa seems like something
to watch, eh?  Interesting implications, both technically and
socioeconomically.  Zaire, with a rather weak telephone system, has
pretty nice cell phone coverage, or so I'm told.

Jeff Cochrane
AfricaLink Advisor
USAID/AFR/SD/PSGE
Washington DC USA