Subject: Re: What's my name?
From: Colin Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 30 Dec 1995 16:35:44 +0000

> Sgri\obh Donnchadh
>On Fri, 29 Dec 1995, Macdonald Heather Diane wrote:
>                               ^^^^^^^
>> I'm looking for the Scots form of my first name;
>
>So I guess Fraoch as a name has a certain useful ambiguity, both feminine
>and masculine, flower-scented and harsh.  Is toigh leam da\-sheaghachas
>mar sin.

Possibly tho' Fraoch Dho\mhnaill sounds a bit more like a
sluagh-ghairm (warcry) than a name (Fraoch! is the Clan Donald
rallying cry and heather their badge). A wee flick through Peader
Morgan's "Ainmean Chloinne" suggest a rather limited number of
female names compared to the number he's assembled for boys
(although I'm not sure if I'd be that thankful to be christened
Drostan, much as I like the name).
  I wonder what the origins of the name Heather in English are. It
just crossed my mind that with it's clan Donald and Lewis
connotations whether it's popularity in Scotland arose initially
with people with those connections. It's a bit far-fetched I
realise but I wondered if a parent somewhere blanched from those
unwieldy 19th century Englished names found in the highlands and
islands like Donaldina.
  Anyhow given this paucity of female names I think we can safely
start making up the short comings. personally if we gaelicize
Heather's name I wonder if we should add one of those diminutive or
other endings most native names end in (-ag, -as, -idh and -a
seem productive for female names). So maybe it's more Fraochag than
plain fraoch. Anyhow it seems that creativity may be required,
(and what Heather prefers of course)
Cailean
   (who suspects he may be rambling early this new year)

     Bliadhna mhath u\r