Subject: Re: Weemunster, etc.
From: "James J. MacKillop" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 30 Dec 1995 15:06:56 +0000

Dear Beth Ragan:

        Very much taken with your response on matrilinity among the Picts
and feel your requests deserve serious attention.  To begin with, there ARE
Ordnance Survey maps of Ireland.  While attending John Kelleher's lectures
at Harvard 20 years ago, I saw him cite them.  Whether they were in his
personal collection or in Widener, I do not know.  But, after all, Friel's
TRANSLATIONS is based on the survey team that compiled them.  Meanwhile, I
have made do with the Bartholomew maps and gazetteers.  Alas, "Weemunster" is
not cited.

        Although not a genealogy buff, I found where my ancestors departed
from Inverness-shire, c. 1818.  I had traced substantial information in
libraries, and then when I met up with a local historian, a retired
elementary school teacher, I found that some local place names had actually
migrated a few hundred yards--attaching themselves to new locations when
older villages were abandoned and flattened.  I suspect the same thing could
have happened in Ireland.

        Similarly, when I was living in Brittany a year ago I learned that
some historical hamlets lent their names to modern estates built on nearly
the same property--and modified to suit the vanity of the modern owners.

        This does not mean your search for "Weemunster" is hopeless, only a
crux, no worse than some of the puns in Finnegans Wake.

                                                Best wishes,

                                                Jim MacKillop