Subject: Re: For the Pagans
From: "Richard A. Holmes" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 7 Dec 1995 22:11:50 -0800

Greetings to all of you on this wonderful list.  I'm Richard Holmes, and am
finding your conversations quite interesting.  I'm interested in Celtic
music, as well as culture.

Kristyn Brinkman, you wrote (in a message dated 95-12-05 01:55:14 EST):

>>Do you believe in the Reed, "An it harm none, do what thou wilt?"
>
>Okay..I'll bite!
>
>Although I've heard several other versions...the answer from me is YES.  It's
>the "golden rule"  that I follow.
>
>However I think there may be some that think it's "too New Age" I'm not sure
>on this point.  : )
>
>Brightest Blessings!
>  Kristyn

I tend to agree as well; although I'm sure that some of those folks in the
Celtic myths may not! :)

Of course, there is a limit; and an interpretation.  One would not wish to
take this to the extreme of the Jains in old India, who were forbidden to
go out at night lest they step on a small creature which they didn't see.
You could take it to extremes; because it has to do with the definition of
"harm".

I think a great part is where your heart is.  And there is also the
protection of yourself.  Sometimes choices made will harm (in some way)
someone.  If you call the police on an attacker, they may be rough with
that attacker; but you have avoided harming oneself.  On the other hand,
being arrested may be the most HELP that the attacker could experience.

With limited mortal knowledge, we can't be too absolute in interpreting
these things; but one can take them as a guideline, to measure one's
intentions and actions against.

Blessings and Music,
Richard.

      \@/
       |        Richard A. Holmes ([log in to unmask])
      \|/
       |       "Drum to your future, Sing your dreams alive!"
   , , | , ,
    ' ' ' ' '

   Loreena McKennitt / Kate Bush / Katell Keineg / Happy Rhodes /
     Renaissance / Sheila Chandra / Laura Love / Jane Siberry /
      Fairport Convention / Danielle Dax / Dog Faced Hermans