Subject: Re: clan descent
From: Ellen Sinatra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 14 Nov 1995 09:22:00 PST

Hi Michael-

>   It is certainly not a consistent pattern.  Gaelic society has always
> been (from first historical sources) a highly aristocratic one based
> on patriarchy and patrilineal descent, as a general rule, and more so
> as time went on.

Nice point.  However, World Wars I and II pretty much decimated the
male population in the Gaelic-speaking areas of Scotland, thus
reconstructing the society (they never refer to themselves as
"Celtic", so I will omit that word in this case.)  Women were left,
and women raised the children, did the work, sang the laments...

I wonder if you could speak to this phenomenon a bit, since it is
so powerful a part of the present-day identity of those people.

Moran tain,
Ellen Sinatra