Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

Subject: Re: the STYLE attribute
From: [log in to unmask] (Scott E. Preece)
Date:Fri, 10 Nov 95 11:19:07 EST

   From: Terry Allen <[log in to unmask]>

|   You will never see a STYLE attribute in any spec from this WG, I am
|   certain.  It is an exceedingly bad idea and would block deployment
|   of proper style sheets, contrary to what Hakon asserts.
---

I don't find this nearly that clear-cut.  It is perfectly reasonable for
an author to provide default style information for the document.  It
would be convenient to allow authors to specify some kind of style
information in situ, rather than through a referenced style sheet, just
as it is convenient for X authors to provide default resources in situ
rather than through a separate resource file.  Separate style sheets
make a great deal of sense for styles that are applied to a things that
occur more than once; they are a pain in the ass for styles that apply
to a single element in the document.

I would not like a word processor that forced me to set up a separate
paragraph type for every instance of non-default-styled text.

On the other hand, I also see a lot of justification for the fear
(which I think underlies the fervor of the complaints about STYLE) that
many authors would tend to apply style information *only* in situ and
would not define style sheets, and would thereby defeat the purpose of
style sheets (which is not only to make things easier for authors, but
also to allow tools and users to apply localized styling).

I would not like a word processor that didn't support style sheets.

The only gain in separation from supporting only CLASS styling is that
the user would be able to override the styling of the element.  If STYLE
really is used for singleton elements (a single column or cell of a
table, for instance), I don't see that much likelihood of users actually
making use of that ability.  I also don't see any particular difficulty
in a browser allowing the user to override it anyway (by, for instance,
synthesizing a class name based on the STYLE string).

On balance, I think I prefer having a STYLE attribute to not having it,
despite the risk.  I think tools and style guides will provide enough
advantage for common style sheets that the style sheet model will
succeed regardless.

scott

--
scott preece
phone:	217-384-8589			  fax:	217-384-8550