Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

Subject: Re: What about <COLUMNS>
From: [log in to unmask] (Scott E. Preece)
Date:Mon, 13 Nov 95 09:24:11 EST

| Isn't multi-column layout mostly useless in a medium with a vertical scrollbar?
|
| It works fine for magazines and newspapers with short pages, but who wants
| to scroll up and down all the time to follow the columns?
---

I think some of us are hoping that some browser supplier will "discover"
the idea of pages and do a paginating browser rather than a scrolling
browser.  I don't think physical convenience is the only reason we
abandoned scolls for books in the physical world - I think they're
better ergonomically, too.

There is a fair amount of typographical evidence that relatively short
lines (as you get in a multi-column layout) are more readable than
full-page-width lines.

scott

--
scott preece
phone:	217-384-8589			  fax:	217-384-8550