HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

HTML-WG Home

HTML-WG  November 1995

HTML-WG November 1995

Re: Correction: <HOT> Attribute not Tag

"Daniel W. Connolly" <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 12 Nov 95 00:16:14 EST

In message <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask] writes:
>> 2. The basic idea is to enable Web browsers to pop-up callouts like the
>> ones in MS Word, Netscape 2.0B (Windows) etc. ...

>I agree, but would like to see it using a combination of three concepts,
>one of which is new:
>(1) using a URL with a relationship of "help"
>(2) allowing a URL to point elsewhere in the same document
>(3) allowing a container for text not shown by default.

You can use Larry's suggested immediate-mode URLs to avoid the
need for #3:

   <P><A REL="helptext" HREF="data:This%20is%20the%20help%20text">There is a footnote here</A></P>

It's kinda gross, but it has interesting backwards-compatibility
properties. Many browsers will do a proxy transaction for unknown
URL schemes. So in the transition, you can run a data: proxy
that just returns the data in the URL.

#3 is certainly a good candidate for inclusion in any future revision
of HTML that includes other non-backwards-compatible features
(It' too late to bundle it with tables, but perhaps with EMBED
or the marked-sections-and-stuff draft (how's that going, by
the way, Amanda?) And how's the modular-DTD draft coming?)

Dan