HTML-WG Home

HTML-WG  November 1995

HTML-WG November 1995

EMBED (was: Re: A new TAG: FRAME)

lilley <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 27 Nov 95 06:40:09 EST

Paul Burchard said:

> - We _have_ proposed to rename FIG, to something with more general
> connotations (EMBED).  There was considerable resistance to using
> "FIG" for embedding arbitrary objects (such as applets).  Please see
> <URL:http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~burchard/www/interactive/>.  This
> proposal doesn't contain overlays, because Dave and I couldn't
> agree that they were necessary.

Was that just because you didn't see a need, or because of implementation
difficulty, or what?

Just as we have an image format with a true alpha channel (PNG) suitable
for use in FIG overlays, the overlay functionality is removed from FIG's
successor.

I would have thought that the utility of a single base image used in
multiple places with different overlays would be readilly aparent,
whether that overlay was a GIF with binary transparency, a PNG with true
variable transparency, or a Java applet that provided context-sensitive
action.

Please consider putting overlays back.

--
Chris Lilley, Technical Author and JISC representative to W3C
|       Manchester and North HPC Training & Education Centre        |