Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

HTML-WG Home

HTML-WG  November 1995

HTML-WG November 1995

Re: <#include name=".."> and <#define name="..">

Terry Allen <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 17 Nov 95 15:45:50 EST

Amanda:
>If HTML is an application of SGML, does that mean that a compliant HTML
implementation is required to parse any SGML document conforming to the
HTML DTD?  That is to say, does HTML incorporate all of SGML by reference?
Or is HTML a syntax which is merely *aligned* with an SGML DTD which allows
an SGML application to parse HTML?

Conformance to SGML is defined in 8879.  A conforming SGML application
must meet these rules, and nothing in the HTML spec can change that.

Conformance to the HTML spec is defined in the HTML spec.  I haven't
reread that part recently, but as I recall there is no requirement
that conforming HTML apps be conforming SGML apps.

As for "is required to parse", if you mean "parse per 8879", I believe
the answer is no.  There are lots of folks who claim that any handling
of input amounts to parsing; they don't think that parsing an SGML doc
must mean that you parse it per 8879.

Regards,

--
Terry Allen  ([log in to unmask]), Online Books Editor, Songline Studios
               affiliated with O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.