Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

Subject: Re: the STYLE attribute
From: "William C. Cheng" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 10 Nov 95 13:11:57 EST

Murray Altheim <[log in to unmask]> writes:
> Bill Cheng <[log in to unmask]> writes:
> >Hakon Lie <[log in to unmask]> writes
> >I'm not against using CLASS to also mean STYLE.  I can even see the
> >Microsoft Word UI for specifying/selecting a class (which contain
> >style information) for a paragraph.
>
> And why not? They are two very different things. As a designer, you should
> be concerned about keeping presentational (STYLE) and idiomatic (CLASS)
> information separate. It has been one of the guiding principles in design
> of the HTML language.
>
> The whole point of a stylesheet is to create a designer-modifiable binding
> between idiomatically-classed content and its presentation. To shove the
> presentation information directly into an attribute meant to contain
> semantic data would grossly distort its purpose, and as some have pointed
> out, possibly slow or damage development of proper style sheets.
>
> I think if you were to check the html-wg archives, you find we've all been
> trying to avoid STYLE="bold" for a very long time. CLASS="bold" is pretty
> ugly.

I meant to use CLASS to ``imply'' STYLE -- not to equate.  I'm thinking
about CLASS="Normal", CLASS="Normal-Indented", CLASS="Title",
CLASS="Signature", etc.  The Title class will have center-justification,
the Normal-Indented class will be left-justified with 0.9in paragraph
indentation, etc.
--
Bill Cheng // Guest at Columbia Unversity Computer Science Department
[log in to unmask]      ...!{uunet|ucbvax}!cs.columbia.edu!william