HTML-WG@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

HTML-WG Home

HTML-WG  November 1995

HTML-WG November 1995

Re: the STYLE attribute

"William C. Cheng" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 10 Nov 95 23:44:52 EST

Eve L. Maler <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
| At 04:16 PM 11/10/95 -0500, Glenn Adams wrote:
| >In the current case, a number of ways of binding style data to content
| >have been proposed.  The question really is whether the cost of providing
| >the idiom of the STYLE attribute is outweighed by its utility as an
| >alternative expression of the same information.
| .
| .
| .
| I'm not exactly arguing *for* STYLE in a vacuum.  Having a late-binding,
| indirect style mapping is much preferable, for those of us who want
| these benefits.  Many others just don't care, and they're "polluting"
| the base of HTML documents with all kinds of random style information.

I'm a little confused here.  Looks like we are talking about two
different things.  Glenn seems to be arguing against the
``STYLE attribute'' (which is the Subject of this thread) and Eve
seems to be arguing for the ``STYLE concept/sheets''.  I don't think
Glenn is against the ``STYLE concept/sheets''.  He is for using
attributes such as CLASS or ID to accomplish the same thing the
``STYLE attribute'' would accomplish.  If my interpretation of the
situation is correct, there seems to be no disagreements.
--
Bill Cheng // Guest at Columbia Unversity Computer Science Department
[log in to unmask]      ...!{uunet|ucbvax}!cs.columbia.edu!william