Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

HTML-WG Home

HTML-WG  November 1995

HTML-WG November 1995

Re: <#include name=".."> and <#define name="..">

"Daniel W. Connolly" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 17 Nov 95 15:46:43 EST

In message <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask] writes:

>I'll get at least something out in the next few days, just to spark some
>discussion.

Great. I'm looking forward to it.

>Here's a question just to get things started, which isn't clear to me from
>reading the HTML 2.0 spec.

>If HTML is an application of SGML, does that mean that a compliant HTML
>implementation is required to parse any SGML document conforming to the
>HTML DTD?

Err... by compliant HTML implementation, do you mean conforming HTML
user agent? If so, then the answer is no. It's only requred to
parse HTML documents, which are SGML documents that conform to the
HTML DTD _and_ the HTML application conventions:

=====================
http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/MarkUp/html-spec/html-spec_1.html#SEC1.2
Conformance

..

Documents

A document is a conforming HTML document if:

      It is a conforming SGML document, and it conforms to the
      HTML DTD (see section HTML DTD). (1)

      It conforms to the application conventions in this
      specification. For example, the value of the HREF attribute
      of the A element must conform to the URI syntax.

..

An HTML user agent conforms to this specification if:

      It parses the characters of an HTML document into data
      characters and markup according to [SGML]. (3)

=====================

>  That is to say, does HTML incorporate all of SGML by reference?

That's a different question. The answer in this case is yes:
HTML _does_ reference SGML normatively:

================
http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/MarkUp/html-spec/html-spec_1.html#SEC1.1

Scope

..

HTML is an application of ISO Standard 8879:1986 Information
Processing Text and Office Systems; Standard Generalized Markup
Language (SGML).

================

>Or is HTML a syntax which is merely *aligned* with an SGML DTD which allows
>an SGML application to parse HTML?

Do you mean "... an SGML system to parse..."? Then well... yes, an
SGML system can parse HTML. But the relationship between HTML and
SGML isn't "merely" anything.

>This is an important distinction, and I wonder if part of the reason this
>group gets into some of the infinite loops it does is that different people
>are answering this underlying question in different ways.

.. or asking the questions using different terms :-)

Dan