HTML-WG@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

HTML-WG Home

HTML-WG  November 1995

HTML-WG November 1995

Re: HTML Editors (What's in store?)

Fri, 3 Nov 95 13:59:31 EST

Glenn Adams writes:

> BTW, does anyone besides me find it ironic how much people are concerned
> about Internet security but at the same time don't seem to care at all about
> document integrity (and the potential problems that entails).

I agree. I'd place it at about the midpoint on a scale that runs
from "ironic" to "disconcerting".

Although by no means a strict rule, it does seem that the more documents
people put up, and particularly the more other uses they have for the same
or substantially similar materials, the more likely they are to be concerned
about document integrity, and, a small step from there, to validation.
In part I think this is because they're used to recognizing the value of
their content, and, therefore, are or work with individuals whose
job it is to manage, manipulate, and guarantee the integrity of that
content.

I'm not certain, but some days it seems that people who are experiencing
Web publishing as their first publishing endeavour are less likely
to be about standards, and people who have run up against the edges and
the walls of integrity issues are likely to see standards as a large part
of the solution.

Upon closer reflection, I'm concerned that this posting, while related
to the previous ones on this topic, doesn't actually further the chartered
work of the Working Group, so I'll just post it very quickly, and encourage
us all to move back to the frontline topics.

Best,

Yuri Rubinsky
SoftQuad Inc.