Re[2]: "Teach Yourself ..

John Birtwistle <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 10 Nov 1995 18:33:00 GMT

->Du/irt [log in to unmask]:
->>I think O Siadhail should be stamped with a ' Government
->>(Intellectual) Health Warning' and not left lying around where
->>children might read it.
->
Du/irt Sean O Seaghdha
-> [BE]
-> Although I think grammar is important I think having a living (&
-> changing) language is more important. The expressions in O
->Siadhail are from the Gaeltacht and this reveals another question
->(problem?) behind these grammatical arguments - what is the
->yardstick by which we decide the correctness of some bit of Gaelic?

Gabh mo leithsce/al o/ an Bearla ach ni/l go leor Gaelige agam. Nobody
was saying that Connemara Gaelic is wrong - far from it! Just that
O'Siadhail is not suitable for beginners because it is dry, grammatical
in approach, no bloody use if you actually want to speak Irish and,
above all, BORING.

Ta/ se/ leabhar tagartha maith; gabhaim i gcomhairle leis go minic.

Le gach beannacht

John B

LLLLL --- Fainic thu/ fe/in ar an foghlaimeoir --- LLLLL
LLLLL --- Fa/ilte gach ceartu/cha/n --- LLLLL

60/SN14 0DD, Chippenham, UK
---
 * POW 1.2 0067 * Powerline Offline reader for Windows - QWK mail reader