Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Re: Time and space
From: "Charles F. Delwiche" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 14 Nov 1995 15:56:51 -0500

   Date:         Tue, 14 Nov 1995 14:33:10 -0400
   From: "[log in to unmask] Jason Buratti" <[log in to unmask]>

   I am only a graduate studen, but it seems to me that nearly 80 percent of
   the recent communications over these list servers (for three or more weeks)
   has been about censorship or courtesy or anything except phycology.  I
   subscribed to learn more from you about algae (and to help if I could) but
   with the littl bit of talk about algae, I have neither learned, nor helped.
   I am beginning of thinking of getting out of the lists because it isn't
   as fun as it used to be... I wonder where else to go. Jason.

Hey Jason, don't give up, and don't apologize for being "only" a
graduate student.  You certainly aren't alone in your dismay at the
number of policy related messages.  But I think that some growing
pains are probably necessary in a list like this, so you don't want to
bail out too quickly.  Since this is a new list, it is probably
appropriate to spend a certain amount of time discussing exactly what
should and should not be posted to the list server.  I think that we
will get back to algae pretty soon.

I personally would like to see the discussion remain informal and
friendly, and there were a few postings that were neither of those things.

I also suspect that there is more real algal discussion being
facilitated by this list than is immediately obvious.  A lot of people
respond directly by email rather than responding to the whole list,
and we never see those messages.

Hmm... I really should say something about algae here.  Anybody have
DNA from the cyanobacterium Prochlorococcus they would be willing to
part with?

Best regards,

Chuck Delwiche

--
Charles F. Delwiche -- [log in to unmask]
Dept. of Biology, JH 142, I.U.       phone: (812) 855-2549