Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Chlorella contamination
From: "Swanepoel, A" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 15 Nov 1995 09:09:03 +0000

Dear Algae-L Subscribers
We have a HUGE problem with Chlorella contamination in an Oscillatoria
culture.  We have already tried antibiotics such as Actidione and
Amphotericin.  We've also tried a dilution series but the Chlorella cells
seem to attach themselves to the mucilage sheaths of the Oscillatoria
filaments.  On agar plates, Chlorella covers the agar surface before
Oscillatoria can grow.  Filtering the culture through a range of 10 um -
200 um nybolt-filter nets, was also unsuccessful.
PLEASE!!!  We are desperate!!!  Can anybody suggest a solution to our
Annelie Swanepoel
Dept. Plant and Soil Sciences
Potchefstroom University for CHE
South Africa