Help for AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

AFRIK-IT Home

AFRIK-IT  November 1995

AFRIK-IT November 1995

???-Internet Tutorial Workshops in GHANA/plz help...

C Washington <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 22 Nov 1995 03:04:03 -0800

Please help.

I would be DELIGHTED to receive suggestions and ideas from some of you on
this great list.

The Voluntary Workcamps Association of Ghana (VOLU), in Accra, is hoping to
get connected to the Internet, in order to move forward with its plans to
set up hands-on computer/E-Mail/Internet tutorial workshops, on a permanent
basis -- particularly aimed at involving youth and young adults who
otherwise would not have an opportunity for intimate exposure.

VOLU has a dream, but NO funds (...sounds familiar?).  I am making appeals
on behalf of VOLU for assistance: including donations of computers,
peripherals, eqipment; and finding personnel whose service could be donated
to train and conduct workshops on computer/Internet-related topics.

I hope to make appeals for donations of E-Mail/Internet services to Internet
providers for Ghana.

Please contact me at once if you have any suggestions or ideas you can share
with me; or if you know of any persons or group that I might do well to
communicate with, or any organizations or institutions that may be able to
assist in this.

The need is tremendous...Ghana stands to gain enormously if this project can
serve as a prototype for future ones throughout Ghana.  VOLU's tentacles
reach all pockets of urban and rural Ghanaian, and thus would be an
excellent conduit for a project of this nature.

Francis DONKOR, National Director of VOLU, is excited about getting the
project off the ground and running.

Your help...your suggestions, would be MUCH appreciated.

I will share with you the general appeal for this project.

Regards,

Cecil WASHINGTON
University of California

Former Director
Operation Crossroads Africa, Inc.

3697-1/2 Platt Ave.
Lynwood, CA 90262-3641

Tel/FAX: 310-632-1582

In Ghana, please contact:

Francis Donkor
National Director
VOLU
PO Box 1540
Accra, Ghana
West Africa

Tel:   233-21-663486
FAX:   233-21-665960
Telex: 3033 VOLU

                     URGENT APPEAL

   COMPUTERS/Ofc Equipment/Support for  V O L U  OF GHANA

To: Friends & Supporters of a Strong Ghana

During the past 30 years, it has been a pleasure for our US-based
organization of American volunteers, Operation Crossroads Africa, to be
invited to join forces, in grassroots community development, with Ghanaian
volunteers from the National Voluntary Workcamps Association of Ghana
(VOLU), an NGO -- currently under the able direction of Francis DONKOR.

Many tens of thousands of Ghanaians committed to helping themselves and one
another have participated in VOLU community development projects over the
decades.

VOLU's devotion to helping Ghanaian people meet the economic, social,
educational and health challenges which loom before them, and to carve out a
humane and just future, is unconditional.

MEETING ON-GOING PROBLEMS

Perpetually under-funded (with triple emphasis here!), VOLU's great
accomplishments have come about despite this:  all thanks to the generous,
tenacious spirit of its volunteers and supporters.  Indeed, VOLU's
contributions to Ghana have been in inverse proportion to the size of its
meager endowment.

Having good computer equipment, E-Mail access, and up-to-date office
equipment would help to give VOLU valuable tools to carry on its work and
calling.

If enough equipment is donated, VOLU will be able to include in its vast
scope special programs to teach basic computer skills to Ghanaian youth who
otherwise would have no opportunity for exposure to this technology.

Thus, we are making this appeal on behalf of VOLU in hopes that you will
give a vigorous response to the urgency of this call for assistance.

SPECIAL NEEDS

VOLU needs computers (new or used, XT-compatibles, 286s & above, also Macs),
printers, modems, and up-to-date office equipment, in good condition, that
could be donated and transported to Accra.  Special arrangements will be
made with customs in Ghana to facilitate the entry of any equipment sent.

Also, VOLU seeks donations toward the cost of E-mail services and Internet
connectivity, as well as basic operating costs.

We hope that you will answer this call and assist in this fine effort, in
whatever way you can -- big or small.

Your assistance with this appeal -- in any way you can -- would be a kind
and fitting gesture on your part to Ghana and to Ghanaian people helping
themselves.

The great humanitarian work of VOLU speaks for itself.  VOLU has a
decades-long track record of making improvements in the quality of life at
the grassroots, rural level in Ghana.  VOLU's projects span the gamut, from
building schools and medical dispensaries, providing needed professional and
teaching skills, to promoting public health and community development at the
village level.

Helping VOLU to find computer/office equipment, or simply making a donation
toward E-Mail or basic operating costs, would be a tremendous service to
VOLU and to the Ghanaian people.

URGENT APPEAL

Thus, we are making this urgent appeal with Ghana's present and future in
mind.  We hope that your caring and generosity will be BOLD.  We hope that
you will act with the decisiveness and humanity that Ghana deserves, and in
the best expression of the human spirit.

We hope that you will regard this appeal with the urgency that it deserves,
and will respond today, rather than wait until tomorrow.

Please communicate at once both with us and directly with Mr. Donkor (VOLU's
phone and FAX are given here), regarding your willingness and ability to
help meet this need.

VOLU is one of the best examples of the indomitable spirit of all Ghanaians.

Your personal assistance would be a great assist to all Ghanaians and to all
of Ghana.

You have our sincerest thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Cecil R. Washington, Jr.
University of California

(My E-Mail : [log in to unmask])

Former Director
Operation Crossroads Africa, Inc.

3697-1/2 Platt Ave.
Lynwood, CA 90262-3641

Tel/FAX: 310-632-1582

NOTE:

The address of Francis DONKOR
Director, Voluntary Workcamps Association of Ghana (VOLU)

Francis Donkor
VOLU
PO Box 1540
Accra, Ghana
West Africa

Tel:   233-21-663486
FAX:   233-21-665960
Telex: 3033 VOLU

ps:

Your help with this appeal (helping to identify resources, both materiel and
personnel; helping to disseminate this appeal; or sharing your ideas and
expertise), would be GREATLY appreciated.

I hope you will do whatever you feel you can.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Cecil WASHINGTON