Subject: Book and Pronunciation
From: Marguerite McAnnally <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 4 Oct 1995 14:36:52 EDT

Office of Admissions
University of Louisville
I just finished "How the Irish Saved Civilization" today.  Has anybody
else read it and what do you think??  Whatever else might be said
about the book, I liked this quote:
After the assassination of John Kennedy, Daniel Patrick Moynihan said
to be Irish is to know that in the end, the world will break
your heart.
He also quotes a poem by an ancient Irish scribe about his cat,
Pangur Ban.  I had heard the poem before on CATS.. but how do
you pronounce it.  Is it like it looks?? I would say "Pangur"
to rhyme with Bangor (as in Maine).  And I assume "Ban" is just
like the regular word "ban" or the deodorant :-)
To please himself only, the cat purrs.
                              Irish Proverb