Re: History of the kilt

Micheal Newton <[log in to unmask]>

CELTIC-L - The Celtic Culture List.

Wed, 4 Oct 1995 10:20:41 +0000

Tom McClive wrote :-

>I read the book "The Invention of Tradition" about two years ago. I have
>also heard the English logger-boss story from another (forgotten)
>source. I'm curious as to (1) how that story got started if it's not
>true and (2) if the whole "Tradition" book is so flawed, since I didn't
>know whether to believe it when I read it. These debunking-type books
>seem to be popular these days.
>
>Whoever wrote in on the "Tradition" book, I'd like to hear more about why
>we know this is not true.

  The problem with this book, like many others, is that they deal
with the tokens and chariactures created from outside the culture
by other outsiders -- they deal with external evidence and
external misrepresentations, never giving any time to the internal
culture itself, and then claim to have debunked something!

  While the problems and idiocacy of Trevor-Roper is well known in
"oral tradition" in academic circles here, the only debunking of
his "debunking" I've seen is in someone's PhD thesis at Edinburgh
Uni.

  However, I have been told that the recent (1990?) book "Ossian
Revisited" does a good job of dealing with the same issues (in
Scotland) from an inside point of view, and makes T-R look
amateurish.

  msn