Subject: Re: History of the kilt
From: Bernard T Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 12 Oct 1995 18:09:43 +0100

On Oct 5, 10:18am, Tom McClive wrote:
> Subject: Re: History of the kilt
> As long as we are on this kilt path:
>
> In any Scot/Celtic shop here in the states, the list of tartan patterns
> for every clan includes such variations as:
>
>         Dress
>         Hunting
>         Ancient
>         (more, I forget)
>
> Thus, one might see five patterns for a certain clan, with labels such as
> "ancient hunting" etc.  Is there really any truth to these patterns
> that go back more than the last century or so?  It has been my
> understanding that certain patterns were only associated with certain
> groups within the past hundred, two hundred years or so.  Therefore these
> "hunting", etc. divisions seem quite suspect.
>
> It sometimes seems as though the purpose of these shops is to connect
> everyone who walks in with a clan name, hoping that you will buy
> something like a tie.
>
> Tom McClive
>-- End of excerpt from Tom McClive

I have just been reading up on Scotish dress. Originally the dress of the
Wild Scots and also the Irish as well was the Leine/ Chro/ich, the Safron
Shirt which reached to the knees. On top of this a small coat was worn, which
may or maybe not be what is called a Gaelic coat? A Brat (a sheep or Deer
skin) was worn as a cloak above much like the plaid (gaelic for blanket),
which in turn replace it around the end of the sixteenth century. The plaid
as I quess most people know, was worn like a skirt with the extra length
normally thrown over the shoulder. It seems Scottish burghs tried the best to
ban plaid, but the nobles who wore an English cut of clothes at court, would
hunt in the High-land garb (its seems to have meant any high piece of land).
By the Eighteenth century nobles where wearing a cut down version of plaid
namely the Kilt, this was period of intense Scottish nationalism after the
corrupt Union of 1707.

As for Tartan pattern, it had become popular to the Scots as a way of showing
off one's Scottishness when faced with the fact that the national language
was becoming English. As for clan tarten there is no proof though there seems
to be district patterns, probably due to supply. Through some landowners did
have the idea of getting their tenants to wear a form of livery in time of
war.

Bernard.