Subject: Gododdin
From: John Minelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 3 Oct 1995 14:09:25 +0100

-
         Stiof MacAmhalgaidh replied:-
Nothing on the dig, but some vague stuff on the "Gododdin" itself. If I
remember right, it is proof positive that Brittonic-language speaking
peoples dwelt in the lowlands of what is now Alba/Scotland. That the poem -
one of the earliest extant Welsh poems, if not the earliest - was written in
what is now Scotland shows that the Brottonic languages were still widely
spoken across the island of Britain after the Romans ran away. I believe
that Strathclyde was a specifically "British" kingdom also, and tied to the
existence of Cumberland (land of the Cymry), Cymru/Wales & Kernow/Cornwall
shows an enduring Brittonic language & culture at this time from the far
south west through most of the west coast & across the modern Borders &
Scottish Lowlands area.

Enough wandering... I also remember that the "Armes Prydain Fawr" makes
clear the banding of armies from across the Celtic lands. I can't remember
how much of this is seen in the "Gododdin". All offers on this and similar
references from other works welcome (I'm thinking of making a killer "shut
up you damn Saxon" quotes list!!).

It's worth considering the awareness of the Celtic peoples of a common
heritage during these times when we are discussing the "Dark" ages, yeah?

SThank you MAQQI for this contribution. Am I right in thinking you are
from the Q celtic faction? What about some comment from our cimric
members- Who were the Gogledd? Were they based o the scottish borders
andis this a possible source of the poem?

I believe a Welsh theatre group re-enacted the battle some time ago (in
a large derelict factory in Cardiff). Also there is an imaginative
novel by John James "Men went to Catraeth" which is the openning line
of the Gododdin.

With regard to the saxons, surely the enemy would have been angles,
this far North. We sould notbe to hard on them as I,m sure there is a
good deal of there blood in the scots particularly the lowlanders and,
of course the embrace quite a lot of celtic culture without even
knowing it!

I would still like to hear of the dig. It was reported in the "Times "
about 10 days ago but I did not manage to read it. Catterick was the
site and they had found a roman amphitheatre . The recent drought could
also possibly be a means of picking up any crop marks locally. I would
immagine a roman fort with associated civil habitation reoccupied, in
turn, by the invaders.

John Minelly
(Sean Mac An Fhilidh)