Subject: Surname "Burke"
From: Elizabeth Bodenmiller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 20 Oct 1995 09:08:28 EST

     Hello everyone!

     I'm pretty new to this list, and I apologize if this one has been answered
     30 times before, but all the recent "surname" traffic has raised a question
     in my mind.

     My mother's maiden name is Burke.  I've read what I've been able to find,
     and it seems that Burkes are everywhere you turn, but I was wondering
     whether the name, since it appears to come from "de Burgh" should properly
     be considered French or Irish?  Perhaps French AND Irish?  Were these
     Norman French?  If so, the combination could include Scandinavian as well.

     Thank you,

     Liz ([log in to unmask])