Subject: Re: celtic identities
From: ANGELA PICCINI <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 23 Oct 1995 10:40:58 GMT0BST

Exactly!  Which is why I am often baffled by the contemporary location
of that present culture in the past.  I'm well aware that most groups
do legitimise their ties through recourse to the past, whether blood
lines, traditional affiliation, etc.  But those ties are
bound up in all sorts of wrongs committed in the name of group
fidelity.  Not that I think modern celtophiles will suddenly
seriously declare superiority over others--however, the defining of
boundaries between peoples does bring you one step closer to that.

As to definitions of culture and ethnicity.  I would argue that
culture is the practice of cohesiveness, doing things that affirm
group status.  For ethnicity I'd stick with Frederik Barth's
definition as the markers groups set up to signal difference--the
boundaries between groups.

yours,
Angela