Subject: Re: celtic identities
From: Kristyn Brinkman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 20 Oct 1995 03:47:44 -0400

In a message dated 95-10-20 03:24:48 EDT, [log in to unmask] (ANGELA
PICCINI) writes:

> It is interesting, then, that so many people
>continue to make real in their own lives certain fictions.

Angela;

Which fictions are those?  I'm new to the list, it was down when I signed on,
so I must have missed the discussion that defined "celtic" backgrounds.  I
was under the impression that Scot, Irish, Cornish, Welsh, Manx, etc.  were
all a form of celtic.

I don't understand the difficulty in what you are seeing.  What is meaningful
and enjoyable to one person or group of people may not look the same to
others.   I believe that there is always a renewed interest in the
past..."roots," if you will, when the future begins to look dark or
uncertain.  Perhaps a desire for a foundation?  Everyone has their own form
of this, I believe.

I cannot agree that the "white man" is "stealing" a belief system from the
Native Americans.  That is a form of faith...I don't see how it can be
"stolen."   Perhaps over-exploited in the mass-media...yes, but if someone
choses a spiritual path to follow, I think that takes it out of the ugly
mundane world of injustice and bias...to a completely different plane all
together.

Y'all, this is just one very tired lady's opinion.  I don't mean to sound so
judgmental.  :)
                                                 Kristyn Brinkman