Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

Subject: Math in HTML (was: Re: HTML4 (or 3.1))
From: lilley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 2 Oct 95 14:34:05 EDT

Paul Burchard said:

> "Eric W. Sink" <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> > Anything labelled HTML 3.n or 4 is going to carry the
> > connotation that it supports math.

Well, academics have certainly been waiting for HTML to do equations
ever since HTML+ first saw light of day. Of course, those companies
driving web development who see [web content] == [advertising and EDI]
see no need for equations.

> I hope not, or we'll be using HTML 2.99999... well into the next
> century.  As a mathematician, I don't forsee HTML ever being
> competitive with TeX-based hyperformats.

Right, so every time you want to view a document with equations you
leap off into another document format in a different client - yuk.

On the other hand ...

If it is possible to sort out the security considerations of TeX and
squeeze it through the tortuous "lightweight" MIME registration process
this might be an attractive option. The HTML 3.0 draft appears to have
no ambitions beyond implementing a subset of TeX anyway.

--
Chris Lilley, Technical Author
|       Manchester and North HPC Training & Education Centre        |