Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

Subject: Re: Proposal: HTML Extensions Registry
From: John C Klensin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 6 Oct 95 00:52:19 EDT

Murray,

Thanks for the explanation.   We have had very poor experience in situations
where IANA has been asked to "register something" without a real
specification of
   (i) what should and should not be registered
   (ii) what sort of specification should be required
   (iii) who (or what process) decides on whether the criteria
         implied by (i) and (ii) have been met.

I'd suggest that you push a proposal into the WG and see if you can get them
to agree with you that this is (at least part of) the way to go.   And I'd
suggest that the proposal be sufficiently specific about the above three
points that IANA and the area directors can evaluate them for adequacy of
specification.  First an I-D,...

  thanks,
      john