Ther e are some good letters here. I enjoy them. I am a second generation
Irishman. My matermal grandmother is from Coumty Mayo(God Help Us!) Here are
my contribution to this center.
1. The appelation God Help Us to "I'm from County Mayo" started years ago.
COunty Mayo was of the hardest hit during the famine. County MAyo was the
dregs of Ireland. So when ione was sked where he was from the reply became
"County MAyo - God Help Us!
2. I recently got Irish Citezenship. Anyone who can prove that one
grandparent was born in Ireland can obtain citezenship. Write the Irish
Embassy or consulate near you. It is legal for an American to have a second
citezenship. It is something I intend to pass to my kids. As Ireland is a
member of the European Community, it could come to have some value in future
years. It gives you full immigration rights to anywhere in Europe.
3. There was discussion of resentment from things that happened long ago. I
don't know how anyone of Irish descent could harbor amy thing but resentment
for the British.
4. During the famine the number one Irish export was food - to England.
5. I have come to love Irish history. The readings on the reconversion of
Europe by the Irish is an amazing story. While most of Europe languished ibn
the dark ages the Irsh culture was thriving and preserving much ancient
Yes, this old bard, descended fron the families of the Isle of Saints and
Scholars is proud to Irish.
Keep those cars and letters coming!