Re: celtic identities

Ellen Sinatra <[log in to unmask]>

CELTIC-L - The Celtic Culture List.

Mon, 23 Oct 1995 20:16:00 PDT

Angela wrote:

> I haven't actaully made up my mind about the way things are, but I do
> find it more probable that how we understand the past over time
> changes, rather than stays the same.  My argument is not to critique
> people for 'oversimplifying'.  Rather, my interest lies in the hows
> and whys of choice of story.  And my take on roots is no more
> ridiculous than the tautology that if it seems celtic, it is celtic,
> because, still, everyone seems to be avoiding a definition of the
> celtic.  It seems to me--and this is not a critique, because cultural
> self-identification always revolves around this--that it is some
> vague sense of 'belonging' (like Benedict's IMAGINED COMMUNITIES), an
> emotional gut reaction which becomes concretised as Celtic so that
> there is some 'real' concrete image on which to hang your identity.

Perhaps the definition of Celtic is a dynamic one, Angela.  Actually,
I think that's not only true, but that the meaning of Celticness for
Americans or Canadians -- or perhaps Australians, is quite different
from that of people who live in Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Brittany, etc.
(what I know as the "Celtic" countries.)

So I'd like to ask everybody what you DO that reflects your Celtic
identity.  Are you a passive Celt who simply takes on the "other" -
and claims it as your own, or have you found ways to take action in
your life that confirms this identity???

Interesting (to me, at least :)  I am probably a Celt by the definitions
I've been reading here, but I think of myself as a "mutt".... a mishmash
of Northern European, mostly British Isles and northern France...  So I
never refer to myself as a Celt.  But I Do love the music and I play a
little bit of it whenever I get the chance.  I am also fascinated by the
Scots Gaelic songs and stories, and when I visit those old stones and
even some of those wonderful people, I really like being there.  The
language, however, is possibly forever beyond my grasp -- we'll see.

I decided it might be time to join your discussion -- I'm also in LA
and at UCLA, where we are feeling the effects of the affirmative action
vote...  Very strange!  And living in LA Is different from what I think
outsiders expect.  For example, living here during the riot a couple of
years ago was Extremely scary - no matter what color we were.

So what do you-all DO that's Celtic?  And if it's something like eating
haggis, have you traced it back somehow?  And How is that more than
just a fascinating game for you?  Is this an active identity?

So far, it's been really fun to read this discussion.

moran taing,
Ellen Sinatra