Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

Subject: Re: Table Content model for TH, TD
From: Peter Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 25 Sep 95 20:18:03 EDT

   > I suggested adding #PCDATA to the content model for TD and TH. I
   > had one comment.

Dave raggett wrote:

   This is probaby unnecessary.

   The content model for table cells is %Body.Content which includes #PCDATA
   unless you switch to the more rigorous model. In the latter case, you are
   restricted to block-like elements. The same holds for <LI> and other tags
   intended as containers for block-like elements.

I was just querying whether we needed the same model applied to table
cells as to (for example) list items: they are two very different
things. While it is very common for a list item to run to more than
one paragraph, I'm not convinced this is true for table cells. It is,
however, possible for cells in a table _header_ (horiz or vert). While
I would like to avoid mixed content where possible, perhaps #PCDATA
could be added to %Body.Content for <TD> only, not <TH>?

Doing some experimenting with Author/Editor over the weekend I managed
to coerce it into some very nice graphical table editing by adding a
bunch of attributes to the elements under <table>. Obviously we can't
go doing this just to cater for one product, but it's nice to know it
works. I'll tidy up the kludged DTD and document it if anyone's
interested. A/E insists that table headers and table footers are
actually separate "tables" from the table.body, which IMHO sucks, but
if you want ammo in the form of "yes, we can do graphical table edits
for HTML3" then yes, it can be done.

///Peter