Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

Subject: Re: Changes to i18n draft
From: Martin J Duerst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 1 Sep 95 13:02:30 EDT

Albert Lunde writes:

>I can see the utility of date and time formatting because of
>their relatively wide use in automatally generated text and
>relatively unambigous meaning.
>
>But I wonder a lot more about money and measure.
>
>If I post a list of prices in dollars per pound, it won't help
>readers much to see it in yen per liter unless I can actually
>deliver at the exchange rate and in the quantities that
>their browser converts to... thus I'd argue that it should
>be up to the document source to provide some translations/
>conversions.

I can live without money, but measure would be very convenient
for basic units (esp. temperature). If I fly in the US, I always have
to ask a flight attendant what the temperature is in Celsius when
the pilot anounces the ground temperature before landing.
HTML browsers don't come with a flight attendant, so we need
a replacement. And I don't see this that much connected to LANG,
as it is in the draft and has been repeated recently; I think user
preferences are much more important.

Regards,	Martin.