Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

Subject: Re: Standards, Work Groups, and Reality Checks: A Radical Proposal.
From: Larry Masinter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 22 Sep 95 20:53:00 EDT

Benjamin Franz <[log in to unmask]> writes, in a long diatribe
about HTML-WG:

> If every major browser company is implementing a feature *not* in the
> current standard, say FONT|TEXT|BGCOLOR|VLINK|ALINK|LINK|WIDTH="XX%",
> and the *majority* of users are *using* them - the WG is play King Canute
> if it refuses to try and actively attempt to integrate them into the
> standard. Passive 'we'll do it when Company N give us a formal
> description' for month after month is not going to cut it. At *LEAST*
> four browsers have implemented these extensions now.

Someone (not Company N or M or whatever) needs to write a complete
specification before it can become a standard. I don't care who it is.
But it has to be something someone can read and make sense of and
implement.

Frankly, if everyone composing gripes about the Working Group process
would take the same amount of time to actually participate in the
process, we'd get a lot more done. Actually, we'd get more done if
you'd just stop flaming, even if you don't participate in other ways.

Constructive activities for HTML-WG members include reviewing
proposals, making constructive criticisms (novel, explicit, suggest
alternatives, changes to the draft or at least point out ambiguities
or inconsistencies) or writing new Internet drafts.

We're in the middle of discussing <EMBED> and alternatives to it, and
the various ways in which <EMBED>, <FIG>, <APPLET> and alternatives
interrelate.  This is a useful and productive discussion, I believe,
with many people making constructive comments.

Counter-productive activities include discuss anything other than the
technical content of proposed RFCs. In particular complaining about
someone's marketing strategy, motives, product plans, some software's
behavior, bugs, or release schedule, or complaining about the
effectiveness of the IETF, this working group, this process are all
non-constructive.

So is this message, for which I apologize.

> I move to dis-establish the HTML working group.

Anyone may accomplish this (at least from your point of view) by
sending mail to "[log in to unmask]" with body "unsubscribe html-wg".