Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

Subject: Re: Take DATE, MONEY to www-html
From: [log in to unmask] (Craig Hubley)
Date:Wed, 27 Sep 95 02:23:07 EDT

> >Terry Allen writes:
> >| As the authors of the i18n draft have removed DATE, MONEY, etc.,
> >| there is no document being considered by this group that proposes
> >| them.  Please take this discussion to www-html and stop clogging
> >| this mailing list with it.

I don't recall the charter of the group saying anything about only being
able to discuss the *current* draft.  I'm prepared to author a more exact
proposal along the lines that Erik and I have been discussing.  I think
our discussion has been constructive.

> In the case of date and money, they were IMU deemed digressionary to the
> core concept of i18n and thus dropped from its text. Both probably deserve

Yes, they were poorly defined in i18n.  We have a more exact def'n for
DATE/TIME that is ready to be...

> a standard of their own. If someone comes up with an idea for handling date
> and money within HTML, the mechanism for returning that topic to discussion
> within the html-wg is to write up an internet draft to that effect.

I volunteer to write this draft.  Please forward comment on DATE/TIME to me.

I don't think we are quite ready to do it for MONEY, but I am willing to
co-ordinate this as well.  I think we might start with some kind of way to
specify UNIT and CURRENCY so we can at least say '5 US dollars' or '5
francs'.  CURRENCY could just as easily be COMMODITY, as there are standard
notations used for both in financial markets.  For that matter, equities too.
Anyone care to charge for services in shares of Netscape ?  :-)

> Spending time on non-draft topics becomes a pointless discussion of
> features that have no bearing on the standards process.

The standards process is not only concerned with the current draft.
Nonetheless, I think we can pull together a draft on this topic offline.

Send material on DATE/TIME and MONEY to me, and I'll author such a draft.
--
Craig Hubley                Business that runs on knowledge
Craig Hubley & Associates   needs software that runs on the net