Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

Subject: Re: Table Content model for TH, TD
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Tue, 26 Sep 95 01:18:04 EDT

[Peter Flynn:]

> While it is very common for a list item to run to more than
> one paragraph, I'm not convinced this is true for table cells.

It's quite common in technical documentation.  We have lots of tables
with multiple paragraphs in cells.  It's not that uncommon, in fact,
to have lists inside table cells.  I can even recall one group of
technical writers who maintained that they couldn't document complex
procedures without being able to put nested lists inside table cells.

The position that convoluted typographical devices like this wouldn't
be necessary if people really knew how to write tends not to go over
very well in such discussions...

Jon

Jon Bosak, Novell Corporate Publishing Services            [log in to unmask]
2180 Fortune Drive, San Jose, CA  95131                Fax: 408 577 5020
A sponsor of the Davenport Group      (ftp://ftp.ora.com/pub/davenport/)
  The Library is a sphere whose consummate center is any hexagon, and
  whose circumference is inaccessible.   --  Jorge Luis Borges (1941)