Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

Re: list of calendars for i18n

lilley <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 4 Sep 95 06:07:13 EDT

 Terry Allen said:

> It is probably not possible to construct a list of all the eras used
> in human history along with all their local variations (I can expand
> on that point but you probably don't want to hear it).

Sure. There needs to be some basic set that is of use to more than a
handful of people (so, years from the enthroning of Thutmose II is out ;-)
but Julian calendar, Islamic calendar and Julian dates are in, I would say).

> As the point of marking up dates is that they may be useful for
> commerce,

I hope that "the" was intended to be "a" or "one". HTML, and the Web in
general, has not yet degenerated into a single-use technology.

> one could well restrict the list to those eras currently
> in use for commerce. That ought to be a managable set.

That is a manageable set, sure. It is insufficient for large numbers of people.

> Remember, you don't have to use these tags if you have no need
> for automatic processing of their contents.

Like search engines, you mean? Return all documents containing dates
from 1218 to 1364 in the Julian calendar?

--
Chris Lilley, Technical Author
| Manchester and North HPC Training & Education Centre |