Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

Re: `Procedural' vs `Draft Standard' for HTML 2.0 extensions?

lilley <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 11 Sep 95 13:17:29 EDT

> We're working on various extensions to HTML 2.0, each in its own
> document. As these documents become finalized, we can submit them to
> become RFCs of their own. We would submit them without assigned any
> particular version number to the resulting language. For example, we
> need not tie ourselves to a rule that says we increment the minor
> version number each time we get a new RFC, thus HTML 2.1 would be
> HTML 2.0 with Tables. For the time being, HTML 2.0 with tables is
> just that.

Hmm... what is it's Internet Media type?

text/html; version=2.0; with-tables

or what? Where is this defined? How do we use content negotiation to
say whether a client can handle this "HTML 2.0 with tables" type?

> The following RFCs, considered collectively, describe
> a language which will be referred to as "HTML 7.4": 7622 (HTML 2.0),
> 7855 (Tables), 7982 (File Upload), and 7632 (Unified Equation for All
> of Life Markup).

Sorry to be dim, but what would the Formal Public Identifier of an HTML
7.4 document be (is that the right term? The stuff that goes in the
doctype declaration) and what single text file would contain the DTD so
that HTML 7.4 documents could be validated?

--
Chris Lilley, Technical Author
| Manchester and North HPC Training & Education Centre |