Subject: Re: First Protestants in Ireland
From: "Sarah A. Joyal" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 16 Sep 1995 12:30:32 -0700

You wrote:

>This is very "thumb nailey:"  In the early 17th century the English
>protestant Monarch (I think it was first begun by Elizabeth and
continued by
>James I) "ran" the Irish out of Ulster and opened it up for settlement
by
>protestants.  These came from both England and Scotland but I think
the vast
>majority were from Scotland.  These were the original "Scotch-Irish" -
aka
>"Ulster-Scotts."  After about 100 years the descendents of these Scots
became
>disillusioned with the English suppression and many (tens of
thousands)
>embarked for America.  Hence, so many of Scotch-Irish ancestry in
America
>today.  These people for the most part were not mixed blood with Irish
>Catholics as this was forbidden by English mandate.  They are the
Scots via
>Ireland.  Of course the protestants who chose to remain in Ireland
have been
>in the midst of a turmoil with the catholic factions ever since.  Hope
>someone sends you a more thourough account than this, but unil then

This begs the question: Since Scotland was settled, so I'm told, by
Irishmen in the first place (Dalraida?)were these still _Celtic_peoples
from Scotland, or Anglicans? I enjoyed your reply, because my family
identified itself as Scots-Irish, and were protestant. The "Irish"
element was stressed, as were Irish folk tales, etc. Now that I'm
trying to reconnect to my ethnicity, I feel very out-of-place in the
Irish-American community because I am not Catholic. We were also from
Ulster, and my Dad used to say we were "Orange Irish", although again,
the emphasis was on "Irish" and my Dad and Grandad supported a unified,
independant (and one presumes, Catholic-majority) Ireland.
Sarah Joyal