AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

AFRIK-IT Home

AFRIK-IT  September 1995

AFRIK-IT September 1995

Re: FW: Africa's...

Dr Eberhard W Lisse <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 23 Sep 1995 12:46:47 +0100

In message <[log in to unmask]>Kerry Gallivan writes

>Dear AFRIK-IT,
>
>Once again, I have to correct the skewed image Dr. Lisse has
>presented with regards to the technology used by SatelLife.
Neither once again, nor correct, nor skewed.

If you bothered to read my statement you would find ont one
word ctritical about your technology used, nor the approach you
have chosen. Let me copy the relevant sentence for your conveninece:

[...]
>>companies. Then you maybe find APC, GreenNet or SatelLife to pump
>>your bytes overseas (eaven if it means using FIDO protcol, which
>>is less efficient then batched Taylor UUCP). The net will grow
[...]

>I've attached a brief statement prepared by SatelLife which
>should give people a more informed understanding, for more
>information please send a message to:

[...] Lots of advertising drivel containg little information (and misleading
statements about Internet connectivity) deleted

>     * Low-cost amateur PC networks (FIDO) using high-speed modems and
>       conventional dialed telecommunications, via UNIX gateway hubs;
[...]

So you do use FIDO, which is leass efficient then batched, gzipped taylor `i'
protocl after all?

Again I said not one critical word about your organization and the poor approach
it has chosen. Just the opposite, in spite of my differences with your approach and
protocols, at least you pump bytes (though only medical bytes or what you consider
to be medical bytes).

Which is what this is all about.

I did NOT say people should not use the three providers mentioned. I said they
SHOULD! However It will only work if it comes from the bottom. If it is
unrestricted. If it is cheap (now that's the problem :-)-O). If it is easy to set up
and maintain (which FIDO is NOT). If it is efficient (which FIDO is, but
I maintain to this day that batched gzipped `i' protocol over the same modem
is faster. )

I could have mentioned that you refused to let Namibia (a developing country)
have access to your services (the regular abstract email service) because we declined
your offer of using your technology because it is inferior to what we have here already.
Well, not declined, you wanted to ``resolve the copyright issues first'' which of course
you conveniently forgot.

I could have mentioned, that you then afterwards had the very nerve to ask us
to route stuff for one of your nodes in southern Angola, which we of course are
will ing to do once the above ``copyrigt issues'' are resolved :-)-O.

I could have listed the numerous enquiries from your ``satisfied'' customers
inquiring with us how to set up a proper network.

Now if that is skewed, so be it. I for that matter live in a developing country,
in fact am the Resident Medical Officer in a District Hospital 400 km from the
Regional/National Hosiptal, which is the very setup that you claim to want
to support.

I am fairly tired of outside dogooders deciding what is good for a developing
country and so forth.

greetings, el

PS: Jut to avoind misunderstandings, I am not upset about having been denied
resources, or jelous or whatever.

A traceroute to grumpy.net.NA which is possible  since last week should
explain why :-)-O

--
Dr. Eberhard W. Lisse   \         /              Swakopmund State Hospital
<[log in to unmask]>            *        |               Resident Medical Officer