Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

Re: Re I18N draft

Martin J Duerst <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 30 Aug 95 11:03:36 EDT

Glenn Adams wrote:

> Language information is only, if ever, encountered as an attribute
> e.g. in the BODY tag.
>
>As I've pointed out to Dave Raggett, the LANG tag is needed on HEAD also,
>in which case it is really needed on HTML too. Various elements of
>HEAD contain potentially user-visible character content or attributes;
>e.g., TITLE, META, etc.

I completely agree. But then my argument (that you shouldn't conclude
anything about whether you can render the document or not from language
information) is even more valid. We might have an exotic language attribute
on HTML, and something very well known on BODY, or even HEAD and BODY.
Doesn't make much sense maybe, but there is also no use in explicitly
disallowing this.

Regards, Martin.