Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

Re: BAD HTML flag [was: Re: Broken parsers need to be fixed (was Re: no dtd? no]

Hakon Lie <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 10 Aug 95 09:14:38 EDT

Benjamin C. W. Sittler writes:

 > In my experience people usually ignore Arena'a BAD HTML indicator, except
 > for their own documents, where they find it of great service. Perhaps
 > having error marking stylesheet-settable would be a good idea...
 >
 > $HTML_ERROR : font.style = blink; font.color = yellow; back.color = red

I've added the $HTML_ERROR selector to the list of proposed
environment variables in the last CSS draft specification [1]. But,
that whole section is under fire. Among the strongest charges against
it is the possible introduction of asymmetry ("the user can do this,
but not the author"). And, we probably wouldn't want authors to turn
off the flagging of errors.

 [1] http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/Style/css/draft.html

Followup to [log in to unmask]

-h&kon