Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

Re: Other Uses of BASE? [was: Security concersn with BASE [was: Is this use of BASE koshe ]

Ka-Ping Yee <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 9 Aug 95 17:33:49 EDT

On Wed, 9 Aug 1995, Scott E. Preece wrote:

> From: Ka-Ping Yee <[log in to unmask]>
> | I don't think i would call this "overloading". <BASE> is about locating
> | the original resource -- period. It is clearly the one which should be
> | used in indices, bookmark files, hotlists -- references of all kinds.
> ---
>
> Um, I guess I'd like to know the authority for that statement.

That statement is my current interpretation of the purpose of BASE.
Yes, it is just mine. But it makes sense to me that when a document
is "read out of context", the original document should be locatable.

> No, I don't know the history of how BASE came to be defined as it is.
> I don't much care. I do know that I want to be able to specify the
> base for relative link resolution and that that is not, in any sense,
> the address by which the document should be retrieved, so if other
> people have as strong a need for recording the "permanent address", I
> guess we need two elements.

Then i suggest that the URI for relative link resolution -- with no need
that it have *anything* to do with the original document -- be specified
elsewhere (than in the BASE element). I believe the current practice is
that it is used for both purposes (reflected by the behaviour of many
user agents) and that making the BASE point at places unknown can cause
very strange behaviour (play with the examples suggested earlier, at [1]).

> ---
> | The purpose of relative links is economy; a link anywhere can be
> | addressed with an absolute URL, independent of the existence or value
> | of <BASE>, and that's why i don't consider <BASE> "overloaded" with
> | two purposes. Relative links save you time when you are moving an
> | entire document collection.
> ---
>
> Yes, and that's why I want to use them. I don't see what that has to do
> with whether or not the element is overloaded.

What i was trying to say is that BASE is not "overloaded" because it
does not serve two essential purposes. It serves the purpose of "locating
the original document", while the purpose of "locating links from the
document" is handled by the links themselves.

> I think we need both.

I can understand your reasons for that.

[1] http://www.ansa.co.uk/People/rtor/relative/first.html

Ping (Ka-Ping Yee): 2B Computer Engineering, University of Waterloo, Canada
[log in to unmask] | 62A Churchill St, Waterloo, N2L 2X2, 519 886-3947
CWSF 89, 90, 92; LIYSF 90, 91; Shad Valley 92; DOE 93; IMO 91, 93; ACMICPC 94
Amano Ai : Tendou Akane : Skuld : Hayakawa Moemi : Belldandy : Ayukawa Madoka
WWW maintainer for the Canadian Space Agency - <http://www.dsm.sp-agency.ca/>