Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

Re: Broken parsers need to be fixed (was Re: no dtd? no problem!)

Gerald Oskoboiny <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 9 Aug 95 07:07:48 EDT

Eric Bina writes:

> As to comments, I believe it is just the odd edge cases and the silly
> restriction of odd verses even number of '-' characters that cause problems.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Netscape's parser currently
terminates comments at the first occurrence of a '>' character. (I'm
sorry if this is incorrect; I don't have access to Netscape right now).

> What do you expect with such a complex comment syntax, ...

I expect valid HTML documents to be parsed properly.

> the average document
> author just wants to know how to start a comment, and how to end it.

Then instruct the average document author to use <!-- to start a comment,
and --> to terminate it, and to not use '--' anywhere in between.

> They don't want to have to count '-' characters in the middle or hear
> about, "except in his case when ..." exceptions.

Then don't tell them about all the twisted possibilities with SGML...
just tell them how to do simple comments properly, and, ideally, throw
up a warning flag somewhere on the Navigator whenever they do something
obviously wrong.

Gerald
--
Gerald Oskoboiny <[log in to unmask]> http://ugweb.cs.ualberta.ca/~gerald/