Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

Re: Separation of presentation and structure

Mon, 7 Aug 95 15:54:33 EDT

> I still don't think that washes. People understand the concept of
> stylesheets - they have been in word processors, spreadsheets, and other
> major pedestrian applications for quite a while.

I'd say that *writers* understand the concept of style sheets. I wouldn't
say that the public at large does, though. I've seen too many Microsoft
Word documents with everything in "Normal" and explicit formatting.

> So to me, the
> question is not "would the mass market use stylesheets" but instead "will
> the tools make using stylesheets easy enough".

Agreed.

> I want to amend what I said yesterday - there *are* tool builders working
> with this in mind (EBT, Navisoft, others) and they deserve recognition
> for their efforts.

Certainly. They will deserve even more recognition when people start adopting
such tools. Technical merit is only part of the solution--you gotta get
people using the tools once you've built them. And as long as good HTML
authoring tools are priced at a premium, most people are going to stick
with their favorite text editor :).

Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation