Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

Re: Repeated Controls (was: Future table issue)

"Dave Raggett" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 9 Aug 95 11:33:59 EDT

I suspect the problem Jon is tackling is due to the lack of a table entry
widget for html forms. Perhaps we need a new kind of widget that allows
users to enter one or more rows in a table, with the ability to insert
new rows. Each row in the table corresponds to a database record with one or
more fields. Each column is associated with a data type, e.g. number, date,
text string, checkbox, or one-from-many menu selection. This could be
implemented as a scrolling area divided up into rows. Each table cell would
act as an input widget based on the field specification for that column.

I left this out of the current HTML3 ID due to the additional effort
needed to implement it. I feel the working group needs an RFC to cover
forms but that we should first tackle some of the higher priorities such
as conventional tables and FIG. Before we standardize form extensions,
we need to take a careful look at mobile code, object embedding and
linking and how this effects interactive documents based on html.

-- Dave Raggett <[log in to unmask]> tel: +1 (617) 258 5741 fax: +1 (617) 258 8682
   World Wide Web Consortium, 545 Technology Square, Cambridge, MA 02139
   url = http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/People/Raggett/index.html