Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

Re: Comments on tables draft

Mon, 7 Aug 95 13:37:42 EDT

I just finished implementing the draft and it only took me about five days. I
curently have everything working except the 10 levels of if-then rules about
align/valign. It took about five hours to add character alignment. Actually,
the part that gave me the most trouble was allowing form controls inside of
nested tables.

| The border styles stuff is unnecessary. I liked BORDER better in
| the last draft -- on or off.
|
| The alignment character stuff is unnecessary. I've seen no
| implementations of this.

>So we should wait until someone implements it wrong and then argue
>over what's right? The alignment character stuff is essential for
>good tables; it'll be implemented soon enough.

| The THEAD, TBODY, and TFOOT stuff is unnecessary.

>Why, specifically? Unfocussed comments like this aren't helpful.
>If you have a case, put it forth.

Here's my table element definition. I have supported the Netscape BORDER tag
in both of it's varations. I also included support for the cellspacing and
cellpadding attribs. I remapped the draft-border into border.style.

<!ATTLIST table
        %attrs;
        %needs; -- for control of text flow --
        %block.align; -- horizontal alignment --
        width CDATA #IMPLIED -- table width relative to window --
        cols NUMBER #IMPLIED -- used for immediate display mode --
        border.style (%border.styles) #IMPLIED -- see above definition --
        nowrap (nowrap) #IMPLIED -- disable word wrap inside table --
        cellspacing NUMBER 2 -- NETSCAPISM: insert space between cells --
        cellpadding NUMBER 1 -- NETSCAPISM: pad between cell border and
content --
        border NUMBER #IMPLIED -- NETSCAPISM: draw borders --
        border.netscape (border) #implied -- NETSCAPISM: imply border=1 --