Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

Re: Draft on the i18n of HTML (ISINDEX?)

Ian Graham <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 24 Aug 95 16:08:41 EDT

> [Re encoding of non-Latin-1 charsets in the response to METHOD=GET
> forms or ISINDEX documents]
>
> > This seems to me largely a transport issue, [ ....... ]
> > a way of letting each other know the character set being used. This would
> > seem best done via an (additional) HTTP header... [design omitted]
>
> I'm afraid this isn't simply a transport issue, since the primary
> requirement here is to create a _URL_ which encodes the query or form
> data. As has been discussed at great length, the charset of URLs is
> not subject to negotiation! If there is data encoded in a URL, the
> interpretation of the data must be evident from the URL itself, and
> not from any auxiliary data that is supposed to be transported along
> with the URL.

Yes .. but this isn't (I belive) what I mean -- What I am suggesting is that
we can treat just the query portion of a URL as a *doubly* encoded string.
For example, if a UA wanted to send some 16 bit characters (or whatever
length) within a query string it could (lets assume a FORM):

       1) treat the NAME and VALUE (16 bit characters) strings as
          sequence of octets,
       2) map each octet onto the appropriate URL encoding,
       3) use the octets corresponding to = and & to separate the strings
       4) use an HTTP header to indicate how the first stage of this encoding
          was done (ordering of octets, the original charset)

This could be reversed by a server, since the header indicates how step (1)
was accomplished. Am I way off here?

Ian
--
Ian Graham ...................................... [log in to unmask]
Information Commons