Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

Re: The BASE element dilemma

"Peter K. Sheerin" <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 19 Aug 95 02:10:49 EDT

Many thanks to Ka-Ping for documenting this so thoroughly!

I need to point out an apparent discrepancy between our observed results,
though, and comment on the reason behind it (stay tuned, this gets
interesting):

Mosaic 2.6:
..
   * resolves relative links using BASE with one exception (a bug?):
        - displays BASE followed by "#foo" when a link to "#foo"
          is under the pointer, but goes to #foo in the current
          document instead of retrieving BASE in this case

Netscape 1.1N:
..
   * resolves all relative links using BASE with one exception:
        - changes Location to BASE followed by "#foo" when a link
          to "#foo" is activated, but goes to #foo in the current
          document instead of retrieving BASE in this case

Ka-Ping is obviously using Unix versions of all browsers represented here,
due to the version of Mosaic mentioned.

The reported behaviour for Netscape may occur under Unix, but under
Windows versions, the behaviour is inconsistent. In Windows 1.1, it
behaves as above. Under Windows 1.2b4, however, it changes [the displayed]
Location to BASE followed by "#foo" when a link to "#foo" is selected,
*and* follows the BASE URL as displayed.

Someone at Netscape obviously changed their mind, someplace along the
line. Perhaps, just perhaps, they were as confused by the interpretation
of all the different specs and RFCs as I was? That's why we need to nail
this down.

For testing, with your browser try:

http://www.ansa.co.uk/People/rtor/relative/first.html

Ka-Ping, can you check this under Unix, to see if this has changed
consistently?
* Peter K. Sheerin Technical Editor, | Work : [log in to unmask] *
* CADENCE Magazine & AutoCAD Tech Journal | CompuServe: 71621,3173 *
* 600 Harrison Street, San Francisco, CA | Personal : [log in to unmask] *
* *
* <URL:http://www.mfi.com/cadence/> <URL:http://www.best.com/~psheerin/> *
* <URL:http://www.mfi.com/atj/> *