Subject: Ireland -- The Pale, 16th century.
From: Donna Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 13 Aug 1995 19:51:56 -0500

Hello,

        I've been lurking in the background of this list for a week or so
and thought I'd ask a question.

I've researched that during the 1540's in Ireland the English Pale
consisted of Dublin, Louth, Kildare, and a part of Meath.  What I am
curious of is whether Drogheda was Irish or mostly English during this
time.  The same for Cork.  I've read that these were not Irish, but rather
free cities than an integral part of the kingdom.  This may be a naive
question, but did Gaelic-Irish reside in these areas?

Thanks,
Donna Anderson